The treatment of HIV is called as ART or Anti Retroviral Therapy. This includes prescribing a combination of anti-retroviral drugs (ARVs) to a person with HIV. ART today is highly effective and has fewer side effects.
A few examples of preferred fixed dose combinations used as first line therapy for adults, that have maximum efficacy and minimal side effects are
- Tenofovir, emtricitabine and raltegravir
- Tenofovir, emtricitabine and dolutegravir
- Abacavir, lamivudine and dolutegravir (after testing for HLA-B*5701)
- Tenofovir, emtricitabine, elvitegravir and cobicistat
- Tenofovir, emtricitabine, ritonavir, and darunavir
- Tenofovir, lamivudine and efavirenz