Vasectomy is a form of permanent contraception for males i.e. those who do not wish to produce any biological child in the future. In this procedure, vas deferens – the ducts that carry sperms from the testicles to the urethra- are cut and sealed to prevent the sperm passage thereby preventing pregnancy. As long as the ejaculate does not contain sperms, conception cannot ensue.
It is a life-long procedure performed under medical supervision and thus, careful consideration of all the facts is essential to take the decision.
- As mentioned, it is an irreversible procedure and the male will not be able to father another child thereafter. Though theoretically it is said to be reversible, but practically, the odds are , “It won’t happen” . In case a man wishes to reproduce, the sperms have to be collected from the testicles directly for in vitro fertilisation.
- It is a more convenient and cheaper way of contraception as compared to female sterilization techniques.
- Very effective way to prevent pregnancy as the success rate is almost 100%.
- It takes a few months for the vasectomy to show results as the existing sperms in the tubes will need to be cleared out. A semen analysis will indicate when you are ready for unprotected sex without fear of conception. Nowadays , home test kits are available to check the sperm count.
- The surgery is a minor one with mild side effects ranging from bruising, swelling in the scrotum or blood in the semen. Rarely, there could be could be severe pain or granuloma formation at the surgical site.
- One is advised to avoid sex for a few days after the surgery.
- It does not provide protection against sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, syphilis etc
- Your sexual life or male hormones remain unaffected.
- It is suitable for those where the female’s health is not fit for pregnancy or other contraceptive methods or if the male does not wish to pass on any genetic or hereditary illnesses running in his family to the future generations.
- Now , the best part . With vasectomy done, you free your partner from the harmful effects of hormones in the oral pills , the painful copper T insertions and its side effects, the hassles of taking contraceptive injections and the horrors of taking emergency pills , should she become pregnant accidentally.
And you free yourself from using condoms all the time.
Its about time you took some “manly action” !!
Author: Dr. Nidhi Jhamb
Suggested Article : HAVING TROUBLE CONCEIVING NATURALLY?…MEDICAL SCIENCE CAN HELP!
[ecko_button color=”orange” size=”large” url=”https://www.drsafehands.com/checkout/spermcheck-fertility-home-sperm-test”]Check your sperm count today![/ecko_button]
[ecko_button color=”orange” size=”large” url=”http://www.drsafehands.com”]Consult top experts of India for any issues related to sexual health, pregnancy or relationships.[/ecko_button]
Pollution in Delhi – 5 Precautions to Protect Yourself
Pollution levels are at an all-time high… hovering over 18 times the safe...