‘Oh, you had a crush in college? And made out with the guy too? Not scared of getting pregnant?’
‘Why should I be? I took the pill today. It’s easy’.
With pharmacies propagating and active sexual lives demanding it, more and more girls are popping the emergency contraceptives now (popularly known as the i-pill). Among the users are mostly teenaged girls who have easy access to the pill and take this contraceptive method as casually as their sexual activity had been. But ignorance can be very dangerous.
Though the pill is effective to a certain extent, there are some basic facts that need to be taken into consideration before popping it carelessly.
- I-pill is effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. The sooner you take it, the better.
- Not more than one pill to be taken during one menstrual cycle and maximum of 3-4 pills in a year as regular intake can disrupt the ovulation and menstrual cycle terribly affecting the fertility. As the name suggests, it’s meant to be taken only in an EMERGENCY. Don’t make it a habit.
- The pill delays ovulation so as to avoid fertilization but in case the conception has already occurred, it won’t terminate the pregnancy.
- Regular consumption increases the risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer and can even damage ovaries permanently.
- It can decrease or ease off the menopausal symptoms.
- It offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases.
- Being a hormonal pill, it can disturb the hormonal cycle of the body badly.
- Mild to severe side-effects of the pill include nausea, vomiting, lower abdominal pain, headache, breast tenderness, menstrual irregularities, allergic reactions, anxiety and mood swings.
- It can actually lower your libido and you might lose interest in sex gradually. So all that thrill in bed would soon be gone forever, if you are not cautious.
- It is not 100% effective with 1 in 10 cases might end in pregnancy.
- In case you are under medication for some other ailment, it is advisable to consult a doctor before taking the pill.
Don’t be misguided by flashy advertisements or uninformed peers. Stay updated, stay informed, stay safe and stay healthy.
Author: Dr. Nidhi Jhamb
Get your 1st online consultation for free at DrSafeHands
Checkout Pre-Nuptial Package
A GREAT ARTICLE FOR MEN WHO CARE FOR THEIR WIVES
Vasectomy is a form of permanent contraception for males i.e. those who do not wish...