As evident from its name, sexually transmitted disease (STD) spreads through sexual acts – be it oral, vaginal, anal or genital rubbing. There are various STDs widely prevalent across the globe and some are difficult to cure leading to serious complications or even death.
Though avoiding sex completely is the only guaranteed protection to STDs but it’s not practical to abstain from sex throughout one’s life. Thus, in order to stay safe, follow the below mentioned easy tips religiously and enjoy stress-free sex life.
- STDs are usually symptomless so getting yourself as well as your partner tested before indulging into sexual activities is always recommended.
- Stick to one sexual partner. Mutual monogamy i.e. both of you remain sexually active to each other only, is the most reliable prevention.
- Use a condom properly for every sex. Whether it’s oral, anal or vaginal sex, using a latex condom is a very effective way to keep away infections as it also limits the skin-to-skin genital contact favourable for transmission of infections.
- When using a condom, make sure to check its expiry date and the presence of an air bubble. Wear the condom only when the penis is fully erect. Hold the condom firmly while withdrawing the penis after sex. Do not re-use the condom.
- Use a water-based lubricant only.
- A dental dam can also, be used for oral sex and gloves for manual handling.
- Do not have sex under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Wash properly after sex.
- Do not share towels or underclothes.
- Avoid having sex with sex workers or persons with unknown STD status.
- Do not indulge in risky practices that may tear or injure the genital skin. Open wounds facilitate germ transmission.
- Do not share sex toys without using a barrier.
- Vaccination against Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and Hepatitis-B (HBV) also, offers some protection against STDs.
- Communication is the key solution to all problems. Discuss your sexual histories, medical statuses honestly with your partner as well as the doctor.
Make these tips a habit and enjoy the results for life.
Suggested Article: 5 MOST COMMON STDs
Get an Online Doctor Consultation for Free!