Scratching any part of the body continuously is irritating and frustrating. But if the itch has affected your lady part, it can be humiliating too. To scratch down there when you are really burning while ensuring that no one is staring at you, is horrible.
Vaginal itching is a common and usually harmless condition. A vast majority of females experience this at some point in their lives.But if the itching is severe and continues for a long time, medical help should be sought.
Common Causes of vaginal itching–
- Bacterial vaginosis : When the healthy good vaginal bacteria is destroyed by harmful bacteria, bacterial vaginosis can occur which causes itching. This is usually accompanied by foul smelling, white vaginal discharge.
- Yeast infection : Yeast or Candida infection is also a very common condition affecting females of all ages. The symptoms include vaginal itching, thick white discharge and occasional burning.
- Irritants or chemicals : Applying deodorants, ointments, douches, soaps or using scented fabrics, sanitary napkins etc can trigger an allergic reaction leading to itching.
- Hormonal Changes : Any medications or contraceptives, menopause, pregnancyetc can create hormonal imbalances in the body leading to itching.
- Skin diseases : Generalised skin complaints such as psoriasis, eczema, lichenplanus, lichen sclerosusetc can affect the genital skin too and cause the area to itch.
- Sexually transmitted diseases : Unprotected sex can cause a variety of problems and vaginal itching is one of them. Other symptoms may include pain during urination, stinky vaginal discharge, painful sex, dryness of vagina, sores or eruptions on the genitals.
- Other common causes : Mental Stress and diabetes also cause vaginal itching.
Precautions and Treatment
Vaginal itching is easy to treat, in a majority of the cases.
- As the genital skin is very soft and delicate, do not use any chemicals on and around the area. This includes deodorants, perfumes, douches, medicated soaps , scented fabrics or sanitary pads etc.
- Wear breathable cotton fabric to maintain proper body temperature. Synthetic underwear may cause severe itching in some women.
- Avoid unprotected sex.
- Keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels, if you are overweight/ obese or if you have a family history of diabetes.
- Wash and dry the area every day after bathing.
- Dry up the area after passing urine, if possible. Moisture provides the right environment to the microbes to multiply.
- In case you do get the itch, do not worry. It’s easy to treat with the right antibiotics or topical applications. Just call your doctor.
Have no hitch, just kick the itch !!
Author: Dr. Nidhi Jhamb
[ecko_button color=”orange” size=”large” url=”https://www.drsafehands.com/services/female-clinic”]Get your free first consultation at DrSafeHands Female Clinic[/ecko_button]
PRIVATE ZONES | 6 RULES FOR PRIVACY IN RELATIONSHIPS
Despite the desire to bare it all with one’s partner,everyone prefers some private...