Menses, or periods as they are more commonly known as, are part of a healthy routine of a female. Regular periods are a sign that her body is healthy and all is well with her organs that give her the power to create life.
But in spite of the significance of this cycle, it is treated with disdain and considered something dirty and not worthy of being talked about. This leads to a lot of mis-information and faulty practices vis-à-vis menstrual hygiene.
Menses are not something to be ashamed or scared of. Just a little attention and life goes on as smooth as always.
Here are a few tips.
- Take bath daily (at least once) washing the genitals properly.
- Wash the vaginal area with water after every visit to the toilet and wipe it dry with a clean towel or tissue as bacteria tend to multiply in wet and moist conditions.
- Never wash from back to front direction as it can push the anal bacteria into the vagina and cause infection.
- Change your sanitary napkin regularly. Do not wait for it to spoil to the maximum as menstrual blood can easily get contaminated by bacteria present in the vaginal tissue, sweat etc. Also, damp napkins if kept for long, can irritate the skin.
- Wash your hands after every napkin change.
- Do not apply any soap, shampoo or deodorants to the part as they harm the healthy bacteria there.
- Discard the used sanitary product properly wrapped to seal off the bad odour or any infection present.
- Wear loose, breathable clothes as tight clothing tends to increase the temperature around the genital region favouring infection.
Make these small practices a habit to have a mess-free and tension-free period. No bad odours, no itching, no discomfort and say Good bye to messy days !!
AUTHOR: Dr. Nidhi Jhamb
GOD MESSED ME UP!!
When I was born, everyone rejoiced. My dad distributed sweets in the whole locality...