While some couples are keen to start a family, some might not be too ready for it, especially newly wedded ones. And thus, they are always searching for the right method of contraception which is easy to use, side effects free and doesn’t affect their pleasure time. We have the list ready for your perusal.
The birth control methods are of the following types:
- Natural methods: Natural methods do not require the use of any physical device or pill and are thus, side-effects free. It includes Abstinencee. avoiding vaginal intercourse and indulging into other forms of pleasures to avoid pregnancy or Withdrawal i.e. withdrawing the penis from the vagina just before ejaculation to prevent the semen entering the female tract. The latter is however, not 100% effective with conception occurring in 1 out of 5 cases. One can also monitor her fertility cycle to plan their love-making accordingly. Fertility is highest before and during ovulation which is approx 12-14 days of her menstrual cycle.
- Barrier methods: These include usage of physical devices like condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, spermicidal creams etc. Though all of these do not cause any side effects but male condoms are considered to be the most effective form of protection from both pregnancy as well as sexually transmitted diseases.
- Hormonal methods: Hormonal contraception involves the usage of pills, patches or injections which release certain hormones into the body that help in preventing pregnancy. Oral contraceptive pills, Depo-Provera injections, vaginal rings are the most common examples of such contraceptives. As hormones affect the body in a number of ways, these hormonal methods are known to cause certain mild-to-moderate side effects.
- Intra-Uterine Device (IUD): Also known as long acting reversible contraception, these IUDs like copper-T or skin implants provide protection for a period of 3-5 years or more. So no need to take pills daily or using condoms every time. High success rates and long lasting effect of IUDs comes with a price. Firstly, it needs medical assistance for fitting inside the uterus. Secondly, it can cause numerous side effects like irregular vaginal bleeding, menstrual irregularities, pelvic inflammatory diseases etc.
- Emergency contraception: As the name suggests, it provides contraception in case of an emergency such as having unprotected sex or failure of other normal contraceptive. The emergency pill can be taken within 72 hours of having sex in order to prevent conception.
- Permanent contraception: In case the couple does not want to have any kids in the future, they can go for vasectomy (blocking vas deferens in males permanently to stop the passage of sperms) and tubal ligation in females (tying the fallopian tubes to prevent eggs from reaching the uterus for fertilization) for everlasting contraception.
Take your pick wisely to enjoy a stress-free, side effects-free and trouble-free love-sessions. For more queries, ask a doctor. Do not take the decision in haste.
Author: Dr. Nidhi Jhamb
[ecko_button color=”orange” size=”large” url=”http://www.drsafehands.com/services/fertility-clinic”]Ask Question to Experts! Free First Consultation at Drsafehands.com[/ecko_button]