An interview with Dr Nitin Sharma, Senior Consultant Urologist. He answers questions about “Impotence” or “Erectile Dysfunction”. Many men experience it during times of stress but it is easily cured !!
Question 1. What is Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Answer: Erectile dysfunction or impotence is the inability to develop or maintain an erection. Lack of erection, lack of rigidity of the penis or decreased time span of erection are all symptoms of an erectile dysfunction. This causes difficulty in performing well sexually.
Question 2. Who all are at high risk for developing ED?
- People with the following conditions have double or even triple the risk of developing ED
- People with Diabetes
- Hypertensives or people with High BP that’s not controlled
- People with high cholesterol levels
- Low testosterone levels
- Overweight or obese
- 40 years or older
- Smoke cigarettes
- People with sedentary life styles who do not exercise.
Question 3. Are there any mental causes or psychological causes also that cause impotence or ED?
Answer: yes of course.
- Emotional/Financial stress
All these lead to ED. The sad part is even some medications used to treat depression, high blood pressure and diabetes can cause ED.
Question 4. How common is ED?
Answer: ED is far more common than people think. According to an estimate, after the age of 40, roughly 40 percent of males experience ED. This may be transient or long-lasting. It varies from men to men, some men may have total inability to achieve erection, others can sustain only brief erection.
Question 5. When should one talk to a doctor?
Answer: If you have repeated inability to achieve or maintain erection for satisfactory sexual performance for at least 3 months, its time to talk to a doctor. Please exercise caution and do not get into the trap of so called herbal medicines or quacks who offer magical cures.
Question 6. What are the treatments available for ED?
Answer: To decide on treatment, we need to understand the cause first. In majority of the cases that I see in my practice, people get very good to satisfactory results. Some of the treatment options are
- Lifestyle modification therapy; which includes quitting of smoking, drugs or alcohol.
- Treatment for stress & anxiety.
- Proper dietary intake and regular exercise regime.
- TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) to maintain normal testosterone level in body.
- Other safe method includes
- Vacuum creation device/pump – it helps to draw blood into penis by applying negative pressure.
- Some oral drugs like sildenafil (viagra), Avanafil (Stendra)
- Topical Cream
- Injection therapy.
- Surgical/Implant therapy.
Question 7. Is it possible to prevent ED?
Answer: Yes, you can prevent it by leading a healthy lifestyle, by maintaining proper body weight and all parameters like blood pressure, sugar levels and cholesterol levels in normal range.
Regular Exercise/ Yoga and stress-free mind can help you in preventing ED.
Question 8. Would you like to give any message?
Answer: I would say that don’t sweep this problem under the carpet. Bring it out, discuss with an expert. It not only hurts you, it hits your partner very hard, too. Nowadays, experts are available at the click of a button !! So, what are you waiting for and why endlessly worrying?
Contact DrSafeHands today for Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction problems in India.
Check your sperm count today!
Women’s Day Special: Purple Ribbons
“Intolerance on a new high”, shouted the newspaper headlines. She laughed...