Herpes is a viral disease, caused by herpes Simplex virus.
It can occur at various parts of body, mainly Mouth and genitals (penis, vagina, and cervix).
It is of two types:
- also known as oral herpes or cold sores
- In this, cold sores and blisters followed by pain and itching are seen around mouth and face.
- Also known as genital herpes
- In this, painful blisters/ ulcers are seen on < href="https://drsafehands.com/female-health/vaginal-itching">genitals(private part of
body), causing itching, and burning, sometimes there is vaginal discharge in females
- HSV-2 infection increases the risk of acquiring a new HIV infection by approximately three-fold(WHO study)